The Charlotte New Music Festival (CNMF), Beo String Quartet, and Red Clay Saxophone Quartet are happy to announce our third annual composition contest. This is a call for scores by emerging and mid-career American composers aged 35 years and older who also live in the U.S.
There are two ensembles for which you may choose to submit a piece:
- Beo String Quartet and Red Clay Saxophone Quartet will perform the selected works at CNMF in June 2018.
- $200 travel stipend and dorm accommodations for 4 nights at the 2018 CNMF in Charlotte, NC.
- Be a special guest composer at the 2018 CNMF. (Give a presentation on your music, attend rehearsals of your music with Red Clay or Beo, attend other concerts and network with other guests and participants.)
- Beo String Quartet and Red Clay Saxophone Quartet will also perform the piece during their regular 2018-19 concert season.
- Top 10 pieces in each category will receive honorable mention.
Submissions — due November 10, 2017 by 11:55pm EDT on Submittable.com
- Choose one of the following categories and submit ONE score AND parts (ONE submission per composer):
- string quartet (2 violins, viola, cello)
- saxophone quartet (SATB)
- Maximum duration is 20 minutes.
- The work may have been previously performed.
- Recordings are optional but highly encouraged.
- Please also submit a bio with birth year and your mailing address.
- $8.50 submission fee due upon submission.
Eligibility — composer applicants must:
- Currently reside in the continental United States.
- Be born before January 1, 1983.
- Be willing to give a presentation on their music and attend the performance in June 2018 at the 7th annual Charlotte New Music Festival.
- CNMF current/former staff and guest composers are ineligible for this opportunity. CNMF alumni are eligible.
Winners to be announced on Friday, January 15, 2018.